And He said to them, "It is written,'My house shall be called a house of prayer,’…”
Matthew 21:13 NKJV

Monday, June 7, 2010

A Bad Day for Jesus

Pastor Tony Hauck, COTRM
June 7, 2010

What would you think if I began by telling you that three people we prayed for this Sunday got miraculously healed? Would you consider that a good service? Well, no one got healed this Sunday that I know of, probably like most Sundays in most churches. And that leads to my point. I was reading in Mark and two verses stood out to me.

Mark 6:5-6 "Now He could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them. And He marveled because of their unbelief. Then He went about the villages in a circuit, teaching."

I thought, we’d be ecstatic if a few sick people got healed. Do you know what that means? It means a bad day for Jesus is still more than most of our expectations. Does Jesus marvel at our unbelief?

So then Jesus went about the villages teaching. I guess that’s all He could do, since He could do no mighty works. I wonder if that’s why the church is so full of teaching and so lacking in power. Maybe that’s all we have faith for.

Well I don’t want to settle for just good teachings. I’m determined to stir myself up, raise my expectations, press in, and connect with the Jesus I read about in the New Testament.
Who’s with me?

2 comments:

  1. I am 100% with you. I struggle with this myself. But one of the most common answers I get from people when I ask why we don't see more of the power of God when we meet, it's that "God is sovereign" and it's His choice to heal or not to heal. Then I bring up the scripture you mentioned and ask what they think about it. The answer I get is Jesus already knew what was going to happen.

    Anyway. I likewise choose to work on removing unbelief from my heart so I can experience and be a conduit for God's power to other people.

    ReplyDelete